Childhood obesity was a concept that was not seen as a problem in the past. Even obese children were perceived as healthy. However, obesity, today; is a disease in the way of physiological, psychological and mental. It is negatively affects health and quality of life together with its social effects. Being overweight refers to a condition in which the amount of body fat increases. It is defined as excessive fat accumulation in the body.
Today, when we look at the childhood obesity, statistics shows that it increases all over the world. That is why in this article we will try to understand childhood obesity meaning.
How Does Obesity Occur in Children?
Firstly, it is important to know adult and childhood obesity are two different things. It is also known as infant obesity and teenage obesity. Childhood obesity is a serious medical condition that affects children and adolescents. Being overweight causes health problems. These are; diabetes, high blood pressure and high cholesterol according to childhood obesity statistics worldwide. Childhood obesity also has a negative impact on one’s personal self-esteem. This shows that there is psychological effects of childhood obesity.
The causes of excessive weight gain in young people and children often vary depending on genetic and behavioral factors. Also it is about the hormonal causes of childhood obesity. (see: Secondary Obesity: What is That?) On the other hand, obesity is an environmental problem. It is also due to the habits of the community in which the person lives. As it will affect a person’s ability to make healthy choices.
Overweight and obesity are assumed to be the result of increased calorie and fat intake. In addition, overdose of sugar intake, increased portion size and decreased physical activity are also counted as other causes in the state of childhood obesity.
Childhood Obesity Symptoms
Depending on your body structure, it can be said that you are above or below your average weight. In some adolescents or children, their body frame is larger than average. But this does not necessarily indicate that they are overweight. Every children carry different amounts of body fat at different stages of development. Therefore, you can determine whether weight poses a health risk with your body mass index. Whether your child’s weight poses a health risk. It should be analyzed by measuring growth charts, BMI or other tests if necessary.
Causes of Childhood Obesity
Health risks of this disease as follows:
Regularly eating high-calorie foods such as bakery products and packaged snacks disrupts the child’s weight and sugar patterns. Also there is a link between fast food and childhood obesity
Lack of exercise:
It is seen that children who spend a lot of time in front of the computer and television gain weight due to excessive inactivity. Unhealthy foods are often promoted on TV cause children to be engraved in their brains.
If caloric foods are always available in the family and physical activity is not encouraged, your child is likely to be overweight as well. Children are also shaped according to the family’s dietary habits and lifestyle.
The stress experienced in personal or educational life may increase the child’s risk of obesity. Some children overeat to cope with problems. Conversely, loss of appetite can also be seen. If the parents have similar behavior patterns, the family may also be modeled. It is known that childhood obesity and mental health is a matter studied comparatively.
Medicine used in the treatment of antidepressants, diabetes and antipsychotics have side effects such as weight gain. Apart from this, there are many drugs with weight gain side effects. Intense side effects are seen in long-term use. This is an important information to know for your doctor on the childhood obesity treatment.
Consequences of Obesity
- High blood pressure and high cholesterol, which are the risk factors for cardiovascular disease.
- Impaired glucose tolerance, insulin resistance and increased risk of type 2 diabetes.
- Breathing problems such as asthma and sleep apnea.
- Joint problems and musculoskeletal discomfort.
- Fatty liver disease, gallstones reflux (heartburn).
- Type II diabetes is a condition that affects the way the body uses sugar (glucose). Factors such as obesity and a sedentary lifestyle increase the risk of diabetes.
- High cholesterol and high blood pressure cause narrowing and hardening through poor diet and the buildup of plaques in the arteries. A blockage in the artery can cause a heart attack or stroke later in life.
- Joint pain; extra weight developing in the knee and hip region can cause pain and sometimes injuries to the hip, knee and back due to this disease.
Ways to Prevent Childhood Obesity
There is some childhood obesity prevention programs. These are the most important helpers of chilhood obesity solutions. These are;
- It has been supported by scientific research that the rate of obesity in children fed with breast milk during infancy is low, and by breastfeeding your baby for at least 6 months, you will significantly reduce the risk of obesity.
- Beginning with the transition to liquid and solid food, being at the table as a family so that the child is aware of what he or she is eating and not dealing with things such as television, tablet, phone during meals is another important precaution to be taken against obesity. This is also a good childhood obesity prevention
- Kids love to snack more than any of us. Therefore, choosing snacks from healthy things is extremely important and effective as you can pay attention in childhood obesity programs.
For getting more knowledge about childhood obesity, please contact our experienced staff via contact form on our website.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is the main cause of childhood obesity?
The factors are generally are genetic, diet, inactivity, some medicines and psychological reasons.
- Who is at risk for childhood obesity?
14.7 million children and adolescents were afflicted by the 19.7 percent obesity prevalence rate.
- How do I motivate my child to lose weight?
Kids loves snacks, fast foods and packaged foods. It is important to control the amount of these kind of beverages. Also activities are good to prevent overweight.